Friday, July 18, 2008

Hanley to Retire

Steve Hanley has been forced to retire from playing due to a back
injury sustained in the game against Bayonne last season. Steve
announced his retirement to the audience at his Testimonial Launch at
Edgeley Park.
Steve joined Sale Sharks in 1998 from Aspatria and made his debut
against Cardiff. In all Steve played 191 games for Sale Sharks scoring
104 tries including a record of 75 in the Premiership which still
stands today.
Steve also played for England in 1999 against Wales at Wembley and scored a try.
Steve said, "I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Sale Sharks and have
some great memories playing for the club. Helping the club to its
first piece of silverware in 2002, by beating Pontypridd was very
special. I have however been struggling with a disc problem in my
back, since the Bayonne game and have received medical advice in that
I will not recover enough to be able to play Premiership rugby again.
Sale Sharks have been good to me and I have always given my best for
the team."
Former team mate Jason Robinson said, " It was a pleasure to play in
the same team as Steve, he is a great lad and as his statistics show,
one of the best finishers in the game."

No comments: